Fire safety equipment has a big impact in reducing the average loss of life and property per fire. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast, and you need smoke detectors to give you time to get out. Carbon monoxide detectors can detect deadly, odorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.
Call 911 any time you are required to use a fire extinguisher. The fire might appear to be out, but heat can often be trapped in places you cannot see and can cause the fire to rekindle. If you call 911 for a fire you extinguished, make sure you advise the dispatcher that the fire is out (thanks to your extinguisher). If you have been alerted of the fire by a smoke detector or fire alarm, chances are this fire is already too big to handle with your extinguisher. Make sure all occupants are out of the house and call 911. Property can be replaced, people cannot.
If you decide that you can safely fight the fire with your extinguisher, you should use the same acronym used by professional firefighters to remember what to do.
PASS stands for
Watch carefully for rekindling of the fire. If it rekindles and your extinguisher is empty, move on to Plan B - leave the room and call 911.
Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
About 230 people die each year from CO poisoning related to fuel-burning household appliances, such as furnaces, space heaters, water heaters, clothes dryers, kitchen ranges, wood stoves, and fireplaces. Each year, approximately 25 people die and hundreds more suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning when they burn charcoal in enclosed areas such as their homes. Some also burn charcoal in campers, vans, or tents. When inhaled, carbon monoxide is easily absorbed into the blood. The gas is lethal when it replaces the amount of oxygen needed to sustain heart and brain function.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, and nausea, are often dismissed as a "touch of the flu," even by doctors.